Hashtags have become mainstream. They’re on tee-shirts, home decor and…of course on Social Media. Hashtags are to Twitter and Instagram what keywords are to Google. Hashtags are great tools for being found on social media. If you begin to think of hashtags with an SEO’s eyes, you will become a much more powerful marketer. Let’s discuss the proper use of hashtags in today’s social media environment.
Social Media Tips on How And Where to Use Hashtags
Hashtags are powerful.
Tweets with hashtags get two times more engagement than tweets without. And Twitter’s research suggests individuals can see a 100 percent increase in engagement by using hashtags, while brands can see a 50 percent increase in engagement.
Engagement includes clicks, retweets, favorites, and replies. Tweets with one or more hashtag are 55 percent more likely to be retweeted.
PRO TIP Don’t use hashtags on Facebook. Facebook posts without a hashtag do better than those with a hashtag.
How to Find the Best Hashtags
What hashtags are influencers using? What hashtags are your competitors using? Check these out and begin to test them out on your own posts.
Use Relevant Hashtags
You may be tempted to use those #like4likes hashtags that seem to get so much engagement. Don’t. That engagement is a waste. That’s engagement from accounts that won’t convert. The name of the game is ROI, not vanity metrics, so concentrate on getting in front of the right eyes. We’ve put together tutorials and lists of hashtags for many industries and subjects on our hashtag directory, so check there before you begin to use them.
Be Mindful of Numbers
Which hashtags are the best to use? You may think that hashtags with over a million posts attached to them are best, but stop and think about this. In platforms like Twitter and Instagram, where content is constantly being uploaded, does it benefit you to use hashtags that are used so often? Nope. These hashtags will make it so you drop out of the feed quickly. Try to use hashtags that have been used between 5000 and 500,000 times. This will put you at a good place for both being seen and getting enough engagement.
Check Hashtags for Context
Could your chosen hashtags mean something else entirely? Before using a hashtags search it. Make sure there’s no nefarious association with it.
How to Manage Social Media With Socialdraft
Now that you understand how to use hashtags properly, you will need a tool to help you implement your strategy. Socialdraft is an all-in-one Social Media tool for teams. With Socialdraft, you can:
- Schedule to Facebook business pages, and one personal account
- Schedule to Twitter
- Schedule to Instagram
- Schedule pins to Pinterest
- Schedule to LinkedIn Business pages & one personal account
- Schedule in bulk w/ a CSV (great for holidays, specials and sharing good reviews)
- Schedule recurring posts (fantastic for specials and recurring promotions)
- Download your content calendar (if you want to discuss with your team)
- Allow others to schedule content, but with different constraints and permissions
- Assign tasks to team members
- Engage your community on the feed
- Schedule reposts from Instagram to all your connected networks
- Put in your business or brand name as well as that of your principals and track what is being said online (and share the good stuff with a few clicks)
- And pull reports to see how you’re progressing